Monday, June 28, 2010

SEED POTATOES FROM THE GROCERY STORE???!

Haven't you ever wandered wether you could grow decent potatoes from the grocery store?  Potatoes with sprouts on them - because you forgot about them? I did!
This year, after buying several varieties from the garden store at the rate of 6 for $3.00, I got to wandering. Can you actually start potatoes from the ones in the store that are sometimes on sale for less than $3.00 for 5 pounds? Have you also heard the story that grocery store potatoes have a "Retardant" sprayed on them so they won't sprout and therefore won't produce potatoes in the garden. I have. Have you ever noticed that even though these potatoes are supposed to have a Retardant to slow down sprouting, as soon as they get in your kitchen, they begin to sprout Anyway!   I have!
This spring, a friend of mine had a half sack of a variety we all like to use for baked potatoes. They had broke out in long 1" sprouts all over the place! I told my friend that I would take the potatoes off their hands and throw them in the trash.
Well, instead of heading out back to the trash can; I slipped around the house and put them in my Trunk! 

 Did I sin??? Naaaaaaa. When I got home, I carefully cut them up, and after drying over the cuts for 3 days, I put them in the ground in their own row beside the "Garden Store" potatoes. I labeled this last row of potatoes - "John's Potatoes". 

They seemed to sprout just fine and flourished in the same potato patch as the others. But would they Produce?
Today, I dug up my first "Grocery Store" Potato plants to see if they had done very well.

I half suspected to get little or nothing from them. After all, I always heard these weren't good to plant for various reasons. So the garden centers said, and the Agriculture Department said - and all my fellow gardeners said - or at least suspected.
                                                   This is what I found!



Next year, I'm going to try several other varieties from the Grocery Store!


Oh, there were about 5 other medium sized potatoes on that same plant.
A-h-h-h-h.    I sure love a successful garden experiment!
Cheers!
Bob
GrandBob
PS: If you cannot see these potatoes on the group, check out my blogs below for the same article.
Copyright Robert Mader 2010
All Rights Reserved
Grocery Store Potatoes Will Grow!  

No comments: